Thursday, July 19, 2007

What were the comments related to LQ’s recent poll?

Jul. 19th, 2007

LQ's Poll Comments

Please read, join la_questions community, and respond to the poll!

This poll originated at Blogger, however, it did not appear to be functioning properly and so I re-posted a poll from Live Journal that may offer better results. Most prefer to comment on the poll instead of actually voting! And so ... here are the latest comments from around the blogosphere.

Blueeyedgroupie from the Baton Rouge community asked what was my agenda for the poll. I really have not put my "agenda" to print and so I typed up some quick thoughts as to my reasons for the poll. I'm not accustomed to making references to "agenda's"! It sounds way too political!


I really didn't think about the question as being included in an "agenda", but I did have a few thoughts and ideas surrounding the poll. First of all I've read more than enough posts concerning Hurricane Katrina where people are blaming those who lived in low lying areas in New Orleans for not evacuating prior to the storm. I don't recall seeing Greyhound buses or New Orleans buses on the hurricane route where I used to live fleeing the storm. I don't believe that public transportation was available outside of New Orleans for those who did not want to ride out the storm. The River Parishes from recent news reports, if accurate, have cited that they are looking into a NEW public transportation system for that area. St. James Parish was recently cited in the New York Times as the home of a women living in a FEMA trailer, a former resident of New Orleans, without access to a nearby grocery store or childcare or public transportation. The Major media outlets do not get the full story. They only skim the surface and it is more than frustrating. There was no public transportation available where I used to live, either. This could also apply to the election, as there is one candidate who is attempting to be supportive of ending poverty. Hopefully, he meant in the United States and not some foreign country; although, I recognize that we, in the US, are rich in comparatively with many other countries of the world. Recovering from Katrina has been difficult for homeowners, however, the renting communities of the Gulf States - Mississippi and Louisiana - were left out of the equation with regards to the Road Home, FEMA, and other programs. I believe that housing issues prior to Katrina have been exacerbated by a slow recovery process. That's about it as far as an "agenda" is concerned. I believe the demographics prior to Katrina spell out the disaster most accurately and offer an opportunity for community leaders to focus on providing opportunities at improving the support systems vital to recovery for the populations most affected and least recognized - the poor. Improvements in public transportation, healthcare, and affordable housing should become a focus for community leaders in the recovery process, but it is all wishful thinking until it is acted upon! I suppose that this is the "agenda" that has formed the idea of creating a "poll". It's just one of those things in my head and won't remove itself until I act upon it in one form or another.

(Reply to this)(Parent)




Please join la_questions community and help make this a successful poll. Thanks! LQ - Louisiana Questions


LQ's poll on MSNBC NEWS links to Blogger

MSNBC US NEWS - LQ's Poll


http://www.linkedin.com/answers/government-non-profit/charity-non-profit/GOV_CNP/68601-13753877
LinkedIn Answers to Poll
Ed Hagan wrote: I didn't know statistically, but I'm not surprised. In my 7 years in New Orleans, I saw first hand the lack of infrastructure money going to a lot of the parishes around Orleans. The government had constant corruption issues, roads had potholes, crime was rampant, many abandoned buildings existed, especially the parish to the east of the French Quarter, which name I can't remember now. In all, the whole area and economy was just depressed, and you could tell that just walking and driving around. Somehow though, the people seemed to be happier than I've seen living in the Northeastern USA. Maybe they just accepted what they had and made the best of it. Good folks.


http://community.livejournal.com/storykatrina/
comments -

http://community.livejournal.com/poor_planning/
comments - As was Mississippi, don't forget. As with many things, we were constantly battling each other for the coveted spot of #1 of the poorest state in the US.

They only recently passed us in "most corrupt". Hurrah?

(Reply to this)


http://community.livejournal.com/nola_photos/
comments - It's still Bush's fault.

http://community.livejournal.com/fema_trailer/
comments - Mississippi isnt much better and rental price gouging is running rampant. As a disabled woman I have very little hope of finding a place anytime soon.

(Reply to this)


http://community.livejournal.com/da_parish/

comments - I didn't KNOW it, but I suspected it.

I knew that some Louisiana parishes were among the poorest areas of the US, but I didn't know that over 1/2 of them were in "persistent poverty."

(Reply to this)


http://community.livejournal.com/batonrouge/
comments - No, but I'd believe it.

(Reply to this)

Sorry to sound like an ass, but it's "parishes", not "parish's". Gotta watch that.

(Reply to this)(Thread)

What's your agenda behind posting this question?

(Reply to this)




Jul. 18th, 2007

louisianaquest

LQ's Poll from MSNBC US News

Poll #1023795
Open to: All, results viewable to: All

Did you know that over 1/2 of Louisiana's 64 parish's were in a state of persistant poverty prior to Hurricane Katrina?

View Answers

Yes
0 (0.0%)

No
1 (100.0%)




MSNBC US NEWS
Posted in The New York Times, Hurricane Recovery, St. Bernard, DRA, MSNBC, LinkedIn, LiveJournal, LSU, Louisiana, Mississippi, Jefferson, Baton Rouge, LSU AG CENTER, FEMA Trailer, poor planning, da_parish, Clueless Katrina Comments, Delta Regional Authority, bayou, Displaced, Slidell, Media Oversight, Disaster, Election, opinion, politics, USA, Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane, FEMA, Katrina, Houston, Media, Housing, recovery, Texas, public, Poverty, New Orleans, debate, controversy, transportation, Dallas, polls, Social Justice, Government, News | No Comments »

No comments: